Saturday, July 5, 2008

One of three, in reverse

Okay, I've kind of come to realize that I'm kind of long winded when it comes to telling my stories. I'm going to tone it down now though. I know that most of you probably don't like spending forever just reading about my excursions, so I'm now going to just keep it brief and make them shorter. With that I now offer my first story to you.

Every Friday we have a bazaar on base, bazaar is just the word for market, it's where a bunch of vendors come and sell things. In other words it's nothing more than just tourist trap that is brought on base. I went just for the purpose of looking for a leather/fur blanket like what Danny and Mindi have. So I went down and actually found like 10 different vendors that sell these blankets. So I stopped at one and started the whole "traditional" negotiations. I pointed out the blanket that I was interested in and let the bidding war begin. Now the standard for negotiating is that the first to offer a price is already considered the loser of the deal, I was not the loser (well in that context anyways). I asked and demanded an answer from the man on how much he wanted for the blanket and he replied "$120". Sorry but I couldn't help but to start laughing. The guy was out of his mind. 120 bucks, no way was that blanket worth that so I rebuted 35 dollars. Of course he said no but I was just testing his prices. He than responded that he would go down to $80. That still wasn't going to cut it so yet again I fired back with 40 bucks. He shot me down one more time and he asked me "mister, final price how much for this blanket?" I told him that $45 was my final offer. I wasn't going to go more because the blanket wasn't really all that great. The guy of course turned down my offer so I thanked him and walked into his rival blanket sellers tent, they're right next door to each other. I went in and found the rug that I wanted and again asked how much for the rug, even he started out at $120. These guys are good, they talk and find out what the others are trying to sell for. Well, nothing new happend with this guy other than I finally told the guy that I wouldn't go any more than $50 bucks. He said no and again I left to find another blanket stand. I got about half way down the row of shops when all of a sudden I hear some one behind me yell, "mister, wait!!!" I turned to look and see who it was and it was the shop keep that I was just talking to was running after me waiving his hands in the air. "Okay, 50 dollars! I'll take 50 for the blanket" I agreed and walked back with him. The funny thing happened when I got back to his little shop. He started just throwing my blanket around while he was folding it and kept saying to himself, "No profit for me today. No profit for me." I didn't really care, business is business and if 50 bucks wasn't good enough for him I'm sure that he wouldn't have chased me down. So after he got my blanket all bagged he turned to and said to himself, "First sale of the day, I guess I'll just have to try harder." I guess so buddy, good luck with that whole $120 thing. I'm sure it's going to work out great. Now the good thing about the story is that I'm sure the guy still made a good deal off of my 50 dollars. I'm not to worried and that I was able to get it for about 20-30 dollars cheaper than one of my buddies just a few weeks ago. In the end though, I was able to get a really nice, queen sized, supposed "seal" fur blanket for just 50 bucks. That's what I said I'd pay and that's what I wound up paying. It all worked out.

3 comments:

Mr & Mrs Hilton said...

Yippy a new rug! How exciting! Thanks for your stories I really enjoyed them! Also what can I do to help those kids? I should organize something! I want to help! Well I love you! Be safe!

Mr & Mrs Hilton said...

Duh! I ment yippy new blanket not rug! 120 dollars for a blanket! Wow! Well can't wait to see it!

Drew Turk said...

Did you say seal fur blanket? I am calling PETA.